Schedule an appointment for the whole family and have your eyes and vision checked at Shmunes Vision!
Dry Eye Disease
in Ponte Vedra Beach & Jacksonville
Dry Eye Disease Treatment
Dry eyes are a common problem, but that doesn’t make them any less irritating. At Shmunes Vision, we provide advanced, effective treatments and services for our patients suffering from dry eyes. Normally, our eyes constantly make tears to stay moist. If our eyes are irritated, or we cry, our eyes make a lot of tears. But, sometimes the eyes don’t make enough tears or something affects one or more layers of the tear film. In those cases, we end up with dry eyes.
Common Dry Eye Symptoms:
- You feel like your eyes are stinging and burning.
- Blurred vision, especially when reading.
- There is a scratchy or gritty feeling like something is in your eye.
- There are strings of mucus in or around your eyes.
- Your eyes are red or irritated. This is especially true when you are in the wind or near cigarette smoke.
- It is painful to wear contact lenses.
- You experience extreme tear production.
We can schedule a dry eye evaluation for you at our office in Ponte Vedra Beach. In this process, we evaluate the oil glands and tear osmolality. We also look at the cornea and eyelids to screen for any diseases that could be causing a lack of tears and use a tear layer interferometer to determine blink frequency and completeness, and tear oil levels. Your personalized treatment plan for dry eyes may include punctal occlusion, prescription medications, supplements or artificial tears/ointments.